Friday, August 20, 2010

The Amazing Casserole-Dish-Transport-Device

When we moved into my Grandmother's house we had to go through her things and divide them up. Sell what could be sold; keep what should be kept, etc. While filtering through her kitchen things I came across an absolutely horrible, but freakin brilliant casserole-dish-transport-device. It was peach, of course, my grandmother sure loved peach. In fact the entire house was some version of peach. I'm serious. Floor to ceiling. Carpet, fireplace, furniture, curtain, blinds... even the CIELING WAS PEACH!! Anyway, I digress. The casserole thing (I don't know if it had a name of its own or not) was peach and quilted with peach lace trimming. Absolutely awful. But I kept it. Because if nothing else, it would provide me with a template to make my very own casserole-dish-transport-device.

And lo...





Isn't it fun? The design is so simple, though some of my measurements did go awry. I originally wanted a 10" pie dish to fit, and it can, but it’s a bit tight. Still, this was an easy project. I used 2 wooden sticks for the handles and a piece of plywood at the bottom for stability. I like it so much, that I decided to make another BIGGER one for my lasagna pan. Now, somebody invite me to a potluck pronto!

5 comments:

katie said...

i will be inviting you to a potluck. you may be the only one. Can you make a veggie one for us.

Emily Brown said...

That is so freakin awesome I can't stand it. You should post your measurements for the lasagna size one.... if you still have them.

LunaMoonbeam said...

Oh, SO cool. The plywood at the bottom is GENIUS!!

B @ cup + penny said...

Such a great idea! I'd love to get the measurements and make my own.

Emily Adamson said...

That's awesome. And just think, some day when your grandchild finds this, poka dots will probably be out and peach will be in. :) You're amazing!