Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New Feet!

I've been sitting on my porch, watching a storm come in, and admiring the changing leaves while I cook up some new sewing projects. I'm totally in my happy place. The rains are on their way to the great Northwest and I couldn't be more pleased.  The sky is getting grayer. The days are getting shorter. The temperature is dropping. Pumpkins are at my local veggie stand and I have dusted off my slow cooker. It is officially Fall and it is my favorite time of year. My coworkers cast looks of great annoyance my way when I voice this opinion. As natural born sun-lovers, as the days get grayer. they come into the office, one by one, heads hung and grumbling. Why they have chosen to live in the rainiest region on the planet while maintaining these opinions is another discussion entirely. But we had plenty of sun and blue skies this summer. And as I am not one for heat, its my turn! Bring on the rain!

One of the things I really wanted to make this season was a quilt. I kept reading all these articles and books that had the most beautiful handmade quilts on them. Like this one and this one. And I said to myself, "How are they doing that? My machine can't do that. It only sews in one direction. Perhaps they have special quilting machines. Bummer." But after careful research I found this. And lo. A beam of hope shown down upon me. Its not a special machine one needs to make free hand quilts. It is a single attachment. A foot that can snap onto my current sewing machine which costs about ten bucks. It wasn't until later that I felt a twinge of shame at not already knowing about the feet, but I forgot all about it when these arrived at my doorstep. Oh happy days. Let the quilting begin.


No comments: