Saturday, November 13, 2010

Last night, my husband and I enjoyed a fabulous dinner (pot roast) and a lovely movie at my mother’s house. It was a nice was to end the week.

Hubby met me there in his own car, so at the end of the night, we waved by to Mom and Mark and hopped into our respective vehicles. Now, there is something that you all might not know about me. I’m deeply competitive and I prefer to drive fast… and Geoff knows it.

He was in front of me at the beginning of the trek home. I was calm. Told myself we were adults and racing is for idiotic teenagers. As we pulled onto the onramp to 405 he’s going slowly. Not unbearably so, just enough to make me sigh and check if there was anyone in the next lane so that I could drive at my comfortable limit. There wasn’t. So I pulled around him. We were right next to each other. He started making faces at me and I laughed. And after a few minutes I decided that yes, we were racing and I wanted to win. So I pulled into the carpool lane (don’t worry mom, totally legal, it was after 7) and got way ahead of him. I couldn’t even see him anymore. This was going to be cake.

As I pulled onto I-5 I still couldn’t see him, so I just drove as I normally would. When I got off the freeway, the light at the intersection was red, while I waited, who else, but Hubby pulled up right behind me and mockingly yanked his glasses off of his face and scrutinized me. I waved.

The light turned green, and the street splits into two lanes. He pulled up next to me and the guy in front of me decided to take a left. Foiled! Hubby zoomed past me. I sighed, because I knew that the street turned back into a single lane street in a couple of blocks all the way to our house. I was defeated.

But alas, we came to a fork in the road which offered 2 ways home. Turn left or go straight. He turned left. I went straight. His route might be slightly longer in distance, but incurs a very steep hill and has a 35 MPH speed limit. Mine has a 25 MPH speed limit and 2 speed bumps. Being the competitive creature that I am, I hit 40 and took the speed bumps at 25 (the contents of my trunk were completely trashed) all the while keeping a sharp eye for cats and children (hey, I’m not a monster, ok) but my efforts were futile, I was too slow.

I saw Hubby cross the street I was coming down and he was going real slow, like 5 MPH. Mocking me all the way. I cursed at him. We were a ½ block from the house. The final obstacle was a round-about that sits at the top of our hill. Hubby ALWAYS takes the round about counter clockwise, which is the law. He has always been very firm about that. Tonight was no exception. His slowness, mockery, and law abiding ways made him loose the race. I cut him off at the round-about and pulled in front of the house. Victory was mine.

Best day of my life.

Just kidding.

1 comment:

mp2athome said...

You guys are silly!
Love you, Mom :-)